Mika turned 2 this year, so we threw a garden party at home (with fingers toes crossed for good weather, which it was, thankfully). We went with a “high tea” theme in girly colours (and red, her favourite colour) – any excuses really to use my vintage tea sets and new pretties from the Salt&Pepper range at Farmers! The flower garlands hanging in front of the sheers are foam roses in 3 colours from Spotlight, tied onto twine.
SETTING THE SCENE
Old teapots with fake flowers were placed on tables on the garden. Hubby and little man made the signs together. The fairy door was made from ice block sticks and the Fairy Table & Toadstool chairs are from Easy Peasy Parties.
We had balloon animals (thanks to Hubby doing a crash-course via Google on how to twist balloons) and Face-Painting. Along with fairy lights in mason jars, we had butterfly and fairy silhouettes on the paper straws and a little ‘tea party’ set for the fairies to play with at the Fairy Table. Food was themed and served on vintage serveware, wood rounds or in terracotta pots from Mitre10!
Hubby created an archway over our swingset frame using branches from the trees we had recently cut down, and we hung old picture frames to create a photo-booth.
I was pressed for time, and so I cheated – the sponge cake was made by Countdown (if you follow me on Instagram, you’ll know about all the drama on the day before the party…) This Lemon Curd recipe is super quick and easy, and goes perfectly with this Vanilla Bean Buttercream recipe.
On top, a really simple garnish of Raspberry/White chocolate Fudge and Strawberry/Rosewater Macarons both from Magnolia Kitchen, and some freeze-dried raspberries from Farro. Our beautiful cake topper is from Love From Seventeen.
OK, so I had so many ideas for the themed menu, I maaay have gone a little cray-cray…and what’s even more crazy is I didn’t get a photo of everything.
- Old-fashioned Lemonade & Fruity Punch
- Sandwiches – shaped like flowers (egg), hedgehogs and snails (cheese)
- Croissants (ham+mayo)
- Mini asparagus rolls
- Cocktail sausages
- Fairy bread
- Pretzel sticks & Funsticks (served in a flower pot)
- Natural freshly-popped popcorn
- Apple Roses
- Pretzel Butterflies
- Turkish Delight
- Babybel Ladybirds
- Cherry Tomato/Cheese Toadstools
- Flower-shaped Lemon Tarts
- Fairy Wands (watermelon/grapes)
- Toadstools on sticks (strawberries/mini marshmallows)
- Tulips (cherry tomatoes/cucumber)
- Allergy-free Potted chocolate cake with chocolate soil and mint sprigs, served with wooden spoons saying ‘dig in’
- Tea Station + Mini Candy Bar with Spearmint Leaves, Huhu-Grubs, Magnolia Kitchen’s Strawberry/Rosewater Macarons and 100s & 1000s biccies
I customised the bags based on the kids who would be receiving them (ie boy/girl, toddler/big kid), tied with twine and a wooden butterfly button. Most contained fairy dust, jewelled choccies, party blower, ‘wand’ made of crispy m&ms, a bubble wand and textured stickers.